Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Great Movie Review: Contact

I have always been fascinated by Contact. And I have no idea why.

By all accounts, I should not enjoy this movie as much as I do. Science Fiction? Satellites listening to outer space? Science fiction? Yet every time it's on television, I can't help but watch it. And I don't know why, but I sometimes stare at my DVD shelves looking for something to watch and decide, "I think I'd like to watch Contact!"

Contact is a 1997 science fiction film starring Jodi Foster as a scientist who has dedicated her career to the search for extra-terrestrial life. Her preferred method of search is listening to the sounds of distant galaxies on her headphones; this movie tells the story of what happens when she finally hears something.

Far more "science" than "fiction" (see how I slid that past the boys?), Contact is based on the only novel astronomer/astrophysicist/cosmologist Carl Sagan ever wrote. That book is his account of what it might actually look like if we ever did make contact with, as Jodi Foster's Ellie Arroway puts it, "little green men."

Influenced by Close Encounters of the Third Kind and, another GSMW classic, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Contact pushes the intellectual level a step further by showing us the details and equipment up close that making this kind of breakthrough would actually require. Things are never dumbed down for the audience, and the moment of discovery sees the scientists and astronomers speaking in terms that we couldn't hope to understand and utilizing programs and satellites that would intimidate even the most technical layman. Even further than that, the movie begins to slowly center itself in an intellectual debate on faith vs. science, pitting some of the main characters and allowing them to eloquently and logically converse on the topic without getting ugly.

Jodi Foster is predictably amazing in the lead role, bringing depth and passion to a character that never becomes tiresome, despite the fact that she is in nearly every scene of the film. Tom Skerritt is perfectly icky as the oily scientist rival, and James Woods (one of my favorite actors) steals every scene he's in as the skeptical bureaucrat who functions as the audience's mouth piece in early scenes of the movie, asking the "what does that mean?" questions that allow Dr. Arroway to explain to us what exactly is going on and why it's significant.

Even more than a decade later, the special effects still hold up wonderfully, and it's easy to forget that these graphics were created in an era before CG was a foregone conclusion of nearly every theatrically released movie. The musical score is also brilliant, and both highlights the action and underscores the emotional tones perfectly. The film received a nomination for an Academy Award for Sound, but lost out to Titanic.

My personal feeling is that a movie like Contact truly rises above many of the tired old tropes that most sci-fi films often suffer from, and I find it refreshing to see a movie in a genre typically filled with far-fletched plot lines and unbelievable heroes to be so well-anchored in reality. What would happen if we made contact? What would Congress do? What would the president say? How would the general public feel?

Indeed, in this vein of thought, Roger Ebert said in his 1997 review of the film, "It's surprising to find a science fiction film exploring issues like love, death and the existence of God; science fiction as a literary form has of course explored those subjects for years, but sci-fi movies generally tend toward titles such as ``Independence Day,'' and are about actors being attacked by gooey special effects."

Not everyone will like this movie- it's definitely not perfect. But it's worth a watch if you've never seen it, or if (like Micah) you haven't seen it in years and a second viewing might help your opinion of it!

Contact is a fascinating movie that will hold your interest, make you think, and maybe have you laughing over Matthew McConaughey's hair (did I not mention he was in this?). Do yourself a favor and go check this one out!

1 comment:

  1. So, I watched Contact a few days ago, and it does not at ALL surprise me that you like it. I can't say exactly why... but I still say that Jodi Foster is what you would be like as an actress, the same way I felt when I watched Maverick, too. (Although, I'll admit, Valerie in the lead role of Silence of the Lambs... that's a stretch.)

    I will disagree with you on one point, the music. There were some seriously hokey musical moments when Jodi's speeches get emotionally charged, musical tones that seem pulled from a sappy musical stock.

    But that moment where she is floating and saying "it's just so beautiful", got my little soul.

    And, now I'm plotting a Jodi Foster movie marathon.

    ReplyDelete