Friday, March 11, 2011

The Great Movie Review: Exam

So this is one of those rare movies that Netflix rated really high for me, and so I thought, "Ok, I'll check it out." About a week and a half later Val mentions in the car that she got in her new Netflix movie, Exam, and that it was really great. So I was really excited to see this movie, because, in general, Val has good taste, and Netflix rarely rates anything over a 3.5 for me.

So I rated this movie a 5. It's only 90 minutes long, and it is set in the same room for the entirety of the film. The idea is that there are 8 applicants for 1 job, and it's the job of a lifetime, with benefits that you don't fully understand until near the end of the movie. In this room there are only three rules: 1) If you spoil your paper you are disqualified, 2) If you leave the room for any reason you are disqualified and 3) If you try to communicate with the exam leader or the Guard you are disqualified. Did I mention they only have 80 minutes to answer one question, and they can't figure out what it is.

The opening sequences is full of great depth of field, cinematography and sound design. Even though the movie is set in the same room the whole time, it never feels like the shots stagnate. They probably must have shot that room from every angle possible. This little British Indy film may not have gotten wide release, but I bet it gains a much larger following over the next couple years. A 4.25 out of 5.

This is the first movie in our new theme: Thillers/Mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment